This is the annual call for Volunteers for the upcoming Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Endurance Run, held in Huntsville State Park on the weekend of Jan 31 – Feb 1, 2015. Once again, the race is serving as the USATF 100 mile Trail Championship.
As in previous years, Houston Trail Runners Extreme (HTRex) is sponsoring the ‘Jurassic Park Road’ Aid Station (see location link below).
|Park Road - Where the stars hang out.|
- AM Shift – Mariela Botella
- PM Shift – Miles Klaff
The ‘Park Road’ AS is located at mile 15.61 of a 20-mile loop for the 100M.
The run starts at 6:00 a.m., Saturday Jan 31st and ends 30 hours later, at noon, Sunday, February 1. HTRex will have 6-hour shifts available throughout the weekend.
- “No-stress Set Up” - Friday, Jan 30th @ 2pm -5pm (2-3 volunteers)
- “Breakfast Shift” - Saturday, Jan 31st @ 7am-12pm (5-6 volunteers)
- “Mid-day Shift” - Saturday, Jan 31st @ 12pm – 6pm (5-6 volunteers)
- “Graveyard #1 Shift” - Saturday, Jan 31st @ 6pm – 12am (4-5 volunteers)
- “Graveyard #2 Shift” - Sunday, Feb 1st @ 12am – 6am (4-5 volunteers)
- “Walking Dead Shift” - Sunday, Feb 1st @ 6am – 12pm (4-5 volunteers)
|Graveyard Shift - Fun Carnage Viewing!|
If you can’t stay for the whole 6 hours (or if you want to stay longer!), that’s cool too – anything you can do is highly appreciated by the Race Director and all the runners out there who you will be supporting!
- All volunteers will receive a unique Rocky Raccoon Buff
- Volunteers will not have to pay the park entrance fee
- Volunteers are eligible for Tejas Points! http://www.tejastrails.com/docs/TejasPoints.html
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner will be provided by Race Management
Contact Mariela at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer!
From Houston - Take 45 North to Exit 109 'Huntsville State Park'. Make a left at the stop sign, you will go under hwy and head straight into the park.
Aid Station Location:
Access to the Park Road Aid Station is on the entrance road to the park. While the Aid Station itself is on the right as you come in, there is no parking at the Aid Station; there is a parking lot just past the Aid Station on the left side of the road. Please park here and be aware of oncoming traffic as you cross the road.
Dress comfortably with sturdy foot-wear. It should be in the 50’s during the day and as low as 32 in the morning and evening – but it’s Texas, so who knows. If you are doing the night shift, wear lots of layers to stay warm. We will have at least one large heater and a generator running during the evening hours.
Feed the Masses:
Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided by Race Management for all Volunteers on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday morning. Always a good idea to bring a folding chair and your own cooler with sodas/beverages/snacks for yourselves in case aid station food does not agree with your diet.
We will need a few pieces of equipment and supplies.
- CHAIRS – Everyone should bring one with them!
- Blankets/sleeping bags – mainly for the night shift.
- Specialty food items - you can bring anything you think the runners will devour!
- Music – we will have an iPod music player, so you are welcome to put together a play list or bring your music player for entertainment.
NOTE: If you bring utensils or something you want to keep, make sure you have your name on them and take them back with you!!
Thanks for Volunteering!!
Mariela & Miles